ABF and the World Blind Union
Australias membership of the World Blind Union is held through the Australian Blindness Forum and is part of the WBU Asia Pacific (WBU-AP) region.
Due to Australias population of over 20,000,000 we have 4 Delegate positions
Current Australian WBU delegates
- Emma Bennison – CEO, Blind Citizens Australia
- Bill Jolley – Member, Blind Citizens Australia
- Theresa Smith-Ruig, Director, Vision Australia
- Jaci Armstrong – Principal Policy Adviser, Guide Dogs Australia
ABF World Blind Union Reports
- ABF Australian Report WBU 7th General Assembly 2008 (WORD 402KB)
- World Blind Union Australia Country Report 2012 (Word 81KB)
- ABF Australian Report WBU Asia Pacific Region 2014 (WORD 70KB)
World Blind Union
The World Blind Union (WBU) is the internationally recognized organization, representing the 285 million blind and partially sighted persons in 190 member countries.
The World Blind Union represents the voice of the blind, speaking to governments and international bodies on issues concerning blindness and visual impairments in conjunction with its members.
WBU brings together all the major national and international organizations of blind persons and those organizations providing services to the visually impaired to work on the issues affecting the quality of life for blind people.
Globally, the WBU is divided into 6 regions, with each region having its own President and volunteer executive team to assist the needs of the local members.
For more information on the World Blind Union visit: World Blind Union Website
2016 WBU/ICEVI General Assembly
The 2016 WBU/ICEVI General Assembly was held from August 18 to 25 in Orlando, Florida, USA.
The 2016 General Assembly was held in cooperation with the ICEVI and was hosted by the National Federation of the Blind (USA).
The full Assembly event took place from Thursday, August 18 to Thursday, August 25th, 2016. The Assembly event included the following:
- Thursday August 18 – WBU Executive meeting and other WBU Pre-Assembly committee meetings
- Friday August 19 – Monday August 22 – WBU General Assembly
- Monday August 22 – ICEVI Paper presentations (ICEVI joined the plenary for the WBU GA closing ceremonies)
- Tuesday August 23 – Wednesday August 24 – Joint WBU/ICEVI concurrent sessions
- Thursday August 25 – ICEVI General Assembly
Go here to download or read the Notes of WBU 9th General Assembly (doc 152kb)